Sunday, October 23, 2016

Platelet rich plasma injections #1

I had my first lot of PRP injections on Thursday. It's a pretty straight forward process. I donated some blood to create the PRP. The affected region was visualised using ultrasound to identify the best position to inject the PRP. Local anaethestic was injected into the skin to reduce the discomfort from the needle used to inject the PRP. Appropriate aseptic technique was used and with ultrasound guidance, the PRP was injected into the hamstring tendons (both legs). The procedure was only mildly uncomfortable and there is a bit of residual soreness in the injection sites. Slow walking at present involves some minor discomfort. The recommendations vary between doctors. At this stage it is best to limit activities for the first week following the injections. Gentle walking is okay, but no more than that. Maybe after that week it will be okay to try a short gentle bike ride. In 3 weeks time I go back for a second round of injections and repeat the process.
It is difficult to know how long the recovery will take. It is important to continue with the exercise programme, which will be with me for the remainder of my active life. The hamstrings will always need to be nursed and kept strong. Similarly core, glutes and hip muscles need to be performing at their best to take the strain off the hamstrings. No opportunity to slack off. In the meantime I'll report back again after the next round of injections.

A nice review about the role of platelets in tissue repair is found HERE.

4 comments:

  1. I read the reviews about the role of platelets. I'm very lucky it's not me injured & requiring this treatment. So many big words I can't pronounce, let alone spell, let alone understand what they all mean & actually do in the healing process. I am hoping for you that this works, even if the process takes time. Guess still being patient is key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TF. Yes fingers crossed it helps as my patience is wearing thin. It will take a bit more time. I hope during that time the symptoms abate rather than keep lingering like they have to date.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. If it's successful will you be able to resume some regular low-key exercise routine (easy cycling, easy parkruns etc)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ET. I wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't going to potentially help get me back to leg-based exercise. I now have some arm niggles (Donald has a hard head ;-) ) and would prefer to get back to cycling and running. Time will tell.

      Delete