Sunday, September 27, 2015

Vets handicap and the QOM

The final KOM/QOM series race in the Vets handicap was today (best 3 results out of the 4 events decides the winners). In the past this event has been scored on age% results, so I would never factor in the placings. For some reason this year it was switched to a point score, which depends on where you finish overall in each series event. Going into this final event, to my surprise, I was leading by 14 points. To seal the victory I needed to finish close enough to the next closest rival (Nadine) to retain the lead. Nadine was starting 2 groups ahead (1:30 head start) and is a stronger runner than me. So it was going to be a challenge. The numbers said the following: if Nadine finished in 12th place or lower, it didn't matter how far behind I finished as my top 3 scores would be enough; if she finished 11th place or higher, I had to be within 14 places of her to get enough points to stay in top position. To add to the challenge, I've been injured and unable to do much running, let alone any hill training and the right calf has been sending threatening messages all week. The goal for the handicap was to show up and run and hope the right calf didn't follow through with its threats!
Altitude profile of the event

This is probably the toughest of the KOM/QOM events, it gets a difficulty factor of 1.14. Total altitude gain is 173 m over 8 km, ups, downs and lots of turns. I have only run this course once before back in 2011 and it's been a really long time since I ran on these trails. I forgot how tough it was. The first mistake was to go out too quickly, and at the 2km point I regretted the fast start. However, I had made up a lot of time on Nadine and could see her ahead. From there I hoped I could stay close enough to complete the challenge! But with the fast start and lack of adequate training, my pace slowed substantially and it was strugglesville out there. At the turn around point I noted I still wasn't far behind BUT we were catching all the slower runners and that meant more people finishing between myself and Nadine. Add to this that I was really struggling, so in my mind it was going down to the wire. I tried to reel in as many slower runners as I could, but I honestly felt like I was going backwards! I came across the line in 30th place and the score sheet showed Nadine had finished in 18th place. Official finish places (eligible for points) were 14th and 25th, so I had done just enough to finish 5 points clear in the QOM.

It was a beautiful morning for the event with a good turn out. It was nice to see Speedy Geoff back and healthy and Maria O had a great run to take the bronze medal just behind Dave C who took the silver. Finally Spring is in the air. It was lovely to finish the morning with a coffee at Sea Salt with Ruth, Jen, Margaret, Gregg and late comers Sheryl, Beryl and a couple of others I don't know. Here's hoping the right calf has been silenced and I can get back out in the hills.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on QOM result. A little homework before hand paid off on race day. You really ran the only way you could, catch up as much as possible getting the target in sight, then hang on as best you can. K & QOM calculation method is changed each year between point score & age%. Hope those little niggles go away asap. Well done, was such a nice morning for a run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TF. Yes lots of homework together with some luck helped on the day. Thanks for the heads up about the K and QOM calculation method, I thought it was always age%.

      Delete
  2. Great running Janene. Garry Maher usually comes up with something special in red or white. Salut

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realise it was that close. You did well, especially considering the suspect calf. Nadine is a tough competitor.

    Now, finally, it looks like we can enjoy training in shorts and short sleeves for good. Thanks Canberra :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ET. I was lucky as Nadine was unaware of her position in QOM. I filled her in after the event. Yes very lucky with the calf and it now seems to have settled down. It will be nice to enjoy some warmer conditions.

      Delete