Sunday, September 13, 2015

Injuries and magpies

I think I have a subconscious love of being swooped and hit by magpies. I say subconscious as my conscious mind lives in fear of aggressive magpies. It seems I have a pretty good record of getting injured during the magpie swooping season. This is problematic as cycling becomes the mode of exercise and on a bike you are more likely to encounter more magpies by virtue of the extra distance you do. I also think magpies are more aggressive towards cyclists than runners/pedestrians, so you just get hit more.
They hit hard, they probably need their own helmet!
There's been a frustrating series of injuries that started with a fall while running in Mulligans flat resulting in a sprained the right wrist. Obviously not a running body part, BUT clearly I was distracted by this injury as about 200m later I rolled my right ankle. I felt lucky to get out of Mulligans flat in one piece that day! The ankle had a mild sprain, running was still possible without much pain and strapping helped keep things stable. However, it is likely this meant I was putting extra load on the left leg, as a week later while out doing a long run, I developed calf/achilles pain in the left leg. This was unpleasant enough to make me cut the run short. A follow up run a couple of days later confirmed this was an injury that needed rest and recovery, which brings us back to the magpies! Yes, since then I've been spending more time on the bike and am paying the price! Spring is in the air, babies are in the nest and magpies are sending a 'message'.

Please let this calf injury heal quickly or those magpies might run me off the road and who knows what other damage I might do!




2 comments:

  1. Yes, a bit hard to turn and stare a magpie down like you can when walking. I heard an expert on the radio talking about them last week - they're most aggressive to what they perceive as aggressive threats, so from most to least, that would be 1. loud/fast postie bikes, 2. fast bicycles, 3. small children (if the magpie was previously attacked by small children), 4. slow bicycles, 5. runners, 6. adult walkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I consider myself to be a slow cyclist, so I think I'm being targeted ;-)

      Delete