Sunday, August 2, 2015

Bush Capital Half Marathon Post Mortem

After managing to do some decent long and hilly runs over the last few months, it seemed like a reasonable idea to sign up to do the half marathon in the Bush Capital Bush Marathon Festival. I knew I could run the distance and I've run most of the course in training. Unfortunately my taper failed to freshen up my legs and I struggled out there today in the mud and puddles. My legs have been pretty tired over the last few weeks with a combination of leg exercises and long runs. Still I thought that a short long run (12 km) in the lead up weekend as well as few less leg exercises during the week would be enough rest and recovery. Unfortunately things weren't looking good with very tired legs on a run on Thursday and during a 4km light jog on Saturday.

There was torrential rain overnight and the course was wet and muddy with puddles and streams to traverse. We all had soaking wet feet from the 800m point and this soaking was reinforced in many locations around the course. Fortunately for those of us running the half marathon, the rain stopped and stayed away for the duration of the event. Big kudos to the ultra and marathon competitors who also had to contend with rain and the challenging slippery muddy course.
Plenty of this greeted the runners today

It was relatively warm and there wasn't much wind for the 9:30am start, shorts and t-shirt running conditions! As we started our way up to the Mount Ainslie trails, I knew I was in for a tough day as my legs were still tired and some neural symptoms were resulting in niggly muscles. I managed a tempo effort for the first 16km and was able to 'run' all the big climbs. However, at the last drink station, which was 5km from the finish, the worsening neural symptoms combined with fatigue saw my running grind to a halt, with the last 5km taking over 33mins!

I am left wondering what went wrong with the taper? It was so disappointing to turn up for the event with such tired legs. Clearly as one gets older, you need to look beyond running mileage and see what effect other activities are having on your ability to recover.

2 comments:

  1. You were doing okay for 16k! Bad luck about the wayward taper. Every runner is different, but perhaps 2 weeks (or more?) of tapering for such a difficult race might work better? Anyway, have a good recovery. At least you get a decent amount of time - us 5k runners are lucky to get a couple of days ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ET. I did my last long run 2 weeks ago, so in theory it was a 2 week taper. That said I am on a pretty extensive exercise programme for my weak glutes and core. Add that to the running, occasional cycling commute and regular gym sessions, it is easy to explain my recent tiredness and wayward taper. Bad timing for the HM. I feel fine this evening with no soreness so I should bounce back okay.

      Delete