Thursday, June 18, 2015

Back to the hills

Oh the irony, as a 'flat lander' hills have always been a huge weakness, I feel like I'm going backwards most of the time when I run up hill. However, it seems hills are what have kept me running these last 6 months, not just the HRT. Going back to doing more runs on the flat has really aggravated my hamstrings. They get super sore and tight and are certainly not interested in racing parkruns. However, when I go back to running on short, steep rocky hills, the hamstrings stop complaining. Case in hand, I ran a hilly 21.3 km last weekend and it went pretty well all things considered. It was further than planned, but I didn't suffer any serious consequences from the run (except for a couple of unhappy toenails from the downhills!).  It is unclear why I am overloading the hamstrings on the flat, it could be to do with muscle weaknesses elsewhere such as the glutes and core. So I am currently consulting with someone on how to correct these imbalances and see if I can banish tired and tight hamstrings. Only time will tell. Watch this space.


5 comments:

  1. The joy and benefit of going up hill, love it. There is an art to getting & keeping all the muscles in balance. No good having the front stronger than the back along with weak glutes. Once you get it right, all will be so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TF, I knew you would have only good things to say about hills! I can't believe you can go from the Mountain Goat you are to running around and around and around a flat hard track as you do!
      Yes hopefully with the right exercises, the balance will return and things will get easier :-)

      Delete
    2. Must say the hard surface of the track is tough on the body, but I do like the challenge of circle work. I have done quite a few track runs in the past, 6, 12, 24 & one 48 hour. All good fun & different from the mountains. Track running is very social, get to see & chat to others all the time. Mountains can be a bit solitary at times. You don't or shouldn't get injured on the hills, so much change of stride length, little repetition so all muscles get a good workout. Hope you love the hills even half as much as I do.

      Delete
  2. That's interesting. You should be able to get to the bottom of it knowing that it's fine running hills. Hope you can eventually make a Parkrun return - perhaps with the very hilly Gindy course ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ET. Yes I may have to seek out the hilly parkrun courses, but that doesn't make for good parkrun times!
      No doubt I'll be on a programme of special exercises to see if we can get back some balance.

      Delete