Sunday, May 17, 2015

A little bit of training

When I first moved to Canberra, I joined the speedygeese training sessions held at Dickson oval. This was a fun way to meet other runners and boost fitness. Although I have occasionally joined in on speedygeese sessions over the last few years, I have not been able to consistently participate and it's been a while since it was in Dickson. It's a great venue, and they have recently improved the track's grassy surface. The grass is now lush and green and relatively even, making for a solid workout.

The sessions so far have been long intervals. All the sessions I've been able to attend have been 800m intervals with a 400m jog recovery. However, other interval lengths have been 1000m and 1200m. I think I'm glad I missed those sessions!

Unfortunately as has been the case in the past, I am not recovering well from these sessions. The muscles get very sore and tired and take days to recover. Trying to follow up with a parkrun on Saturdays is proving to be a big ask. It seems a bit of mixing and matching will be needed to avoid getting too fatigued. It would be a shame to stop the Thursday sessions as they are a nice way to train with a great group of people.
Mmm work those glutes
The focus over the next while will be to try to assist muscle recovery with regular foam rolling sessions of the major muscle groups. Stretching isn't proving to be enough given the degree of fatigue and soreness present even after 48 hours with a day off in between. I managed a comfortable 15km long run today after foam rolling yesterday and again pre-run. So far no major soreness post-long run after more foam rolling and wearing compression tights. No doubt aging muscles need all the help they can get.

It is interesting to note speedygeoff also has issues with overworked muscles as mentioned in his blog today.


4 comments:

  1. Yes, I was surprised he chose to jog the Tuggers Parkrun yesterday. I'm struggling a bit to recover from cycling sessions - legs were very ordinary this afternoon. Perhaps running Thursdays at 85% effort (or fewer reps than the group) might work? Similar training effect but faster recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ET. Less effort is no doubt required. I could barely walk the morning after the last 300m session. My TFL and biceps fems were pretty sore and tight. At least they eased as the day progressed. No parkrun though! The next run will be interesting ;-).

      Delete
  2. The older I get, the longer it takes to recover from anything speedy. That's why I run long & slow and add a few hills. There must be a happy middle ground somewhere for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TF. Looking forward to finding a middle ground. But I will keep doing plenty of runs on hilly trails while I can :-)

      Delete