Saturday, April 11, 2015

Against medical advice

Standing at the start line of today's Australian Running Festival 5 km the starter advised us that if we've been sick in the last 2 weeks that we shouldn't be running today. Oops! I guess I was about to run against medical advice. I was in bed asleep for most of the day on Thurs with a lurgy. Fatigue, sore throat, headache and mild snuffles. However, while not 100% on Friday, I was well enough to go back to work. I did a light lunchtime jog on Friday testing the waters so to speak and was still feeling pretty flat. Thing is, we pay money to enter fun runs, unlike parkrun, so it's hard to walk away with an entry fee on the line. Worst case scenario, I'd feel like shite and drop out, so it didn't seem like a lot to lose. A week 'under the weather' can also classify as a taper ;-).
Start line - ready to go
The warm up jog left me feeling optimistic that it wouldn't be a worst case scenario. The weather conditions were absolutely perfect, not too cold and no wind. A shame about the little hill in the middle of the course! It was a nice downhill start, which probably explains the rather quick first couple of kms. Although as the course distance did not match up on the Garmin, it is hard to be sure of actual km points. The Garmin said a 4:13 1st km and a 4:17 2nd km. Then as the course started to climb, the km rate dropped 4:35 for the 3rd and a tough going 4:50 for the 4th. At least the final km was mostly downhill to the finish, 4:16 + :16 for the bit where the Garmin disagreed. Final official time 22:31, not bad off an illness and with that tough little climb in the middle. Maybe the climb would not have seemed so bad with a slower start.
Course elevation
I did not see anyone I know running in the 5km, most were focusing on the longer events. Tomorrow it will be an opportunity to pedal around LBG and cheer on the hardy marathoners and half marathoners. Here's hoping for similar perfect conditions for them.

8 comments:

  1. Well done, freshened up although a little sick. Job done, got monies worth. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TF. Definitely got my monies worth ;-)

      Delete
  2. Great run and race J! Think I might try an extended taper but without the lurgy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ET. I wouldn't disregard the lurgy, all of the associated sleep may have been performance enhancing ;-). I think it's a good thing to have the odd light week in the lead up to an 'important' run, whether it be a targeted event or pr PB challenge. You don't lose any fitness and the body really appreciates a recovery opportunity. Racing on fresh legs definitely has its pluses.

      Delete
  3. Well done on an awesome time Janene. Maybe the enforced rest really helped you. What great weather we had all weekend - perfect. And thank you so much for your support on Sunday - so appreciated. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth :-). I love seeing you out there enjoying yourself. Yes rest is often overlooked and can work wonders at times.

      Delete
  4. Hehehe! I love your version of the taper—sometimes you just need to make the most of the circumstances you have!

    As someone who has a hill peaking at the 4km mark of their local parkrun, my advice is that you can't afford to go easy at the start and hope to make it up on the hill. My fastest run around Westerfolds parkrun had one of my slowest hill times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cecilia. Yes may have to make it the new taper method given its success ;-).

      Thanks for the tip about the hill. It's probably better to just run the race and not get too caught up in course profile. That said, I think knowing about the downhill finish helped me make it up the hill :-).

      Delete