Saturday, March 28, 2015

Trending faster

Most runners (and cyclists!) are aware of Strava. It's a fun motivational tool for those that like to use it and it's kind of addictive as well. The app for mobile devices is fun as it shows you what segments you are getting quicker on, how you compare to other people doing the same segments and also how you are tracking on any course you have run before. At the moment I'm regularly setting new PBs on various segments and also 'trending faster' on most of my favourite running routes. It's a nice feeling after years of struggling (HRT rocks!).
Run with Strava
The latest 'trending faster' run was today's Gungahlin parkrun. It was a perfect morning, with crisp, clear and windless conditions. As I did a long run last Sunday, the running pattern this week meant a day off on Friday. A good opportunity to see how well things would go following a rest day. Alas, there wasn't a lot of optimism at the start as I was still feeling a bit tired despite the rest day. With Julia and SpeedyGeoff in the bunch, the plan was to sit behind them and see if I could get 'dragged along' so to speak. This was good, as the first km was a more sensible pace (4:35) than I have run for my last 2 efforts. At the 1km mark Julia pushed on, but I thought I should sit with SG for a bit longer. There is one little hill on this course and I noticed SG was slowing here (he's been doing some hard racing of late, so no real surprise there!). He indicated to me that he was feeling pretty tired, so my plan wasn't going according to plan! When the Garmin vibrated on my wrist, I noticed a quite slow 2nd km (4:47), time to pick up the pace! Fortunately there is a little downhill after that hill and the course is pretty well flat to the finish. I used the downhill to pick up the pace and get a good rhythm going. The whole time I expected to hear SG coming up from behind, but that familiar sound never did eventuate, he was indeed very tired. The 3rd km was 4:30, 4th was 4:29 and 5th 4:23 - a negative split, woo hoo! The 5th was the result of having passed two (young) women not far from the finish who weren't happy being passed and then tried to pass me again, this meant a hard push for the finish. Julia ran well, just a second off her PB 22:12. I managed a 13 second improvement for 22:39 - a Gunners PB, not as tired as I thought. SpeedyGeoff still managed a respectable 23:15.

Running on the trails will continue, here's hoping the 'trending faster' continues as I run with Strava :-).

5 comments:

  1. Such good news, and speedy as well. No way am I going to do a Parkrun, would not keep up with you. I'll stick to the hills & mountains & so slow. Well done again, keep up the nice improvements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TF. Stick to what you enjoy. I have a better appreciation of hills and trails these days, but can't ever see myself as a Mountain runner, so I'll leave that to you. Congratulations on your handicap gold, so well deserved!

      Delete
    2. That winning feeling certainly helps the confidence.

      Delete
  2. That's a cool video - if only there was an easy way to get to the flat parts of snow capped mountain runs ;-)
    You raced well. Holding back on that first k made a big difference. It's fun passing or holding off youngsters at the finish, although usually it's the other way round for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ET. I really love that video, it really captures what running is all about. Especially for those of us that enjoy running solo. I agree, it would be nice to have an easy path to at least some snow capped runs ;-).

      Yes holding back for the first couple of kms did make a big difference, I was quite surprised by that final km. Nice to leave some youngsters in my dust ha ha ha ;-). I was also very surprised to not hear SG chasing me down!

      Delete