Saturday, March 14, 2015

Chipping away

There's been plenty of trail running and a couple of parkruns since returning from New Zealand. The legs have mostly been good with no signs of fatigue. I'm going to attribute this to HRT. Some (by no means all) women report real issues with lost endurance, exercise intolerance and no speed when going through peri-menopause and menopause. My early fatigue waxed and waned during peri-menopause then it became much more consistent as the ovaries stopped doing their thing. After researching the topic and talking to a same-aged cyclist friend who had experienced similar issues, I approached a doctor about trying HRT. As would be expected, it took a while to get the right HRT balance. But when we sorted it out, which was towards the end of December 2014 my running started to feel much better, to the point now where I feel pretty much 'normal'. I am hopeful that we have solved the mystery and that I can get back to enjoying my running as I used to. Bearing in mind that I'm no spring chicken and am best sticking with cross training and minimal pavement running. Not sure what the new blog name might need to be ;-).

My first parkrun after getting back from NZ confirmed I had maintained fitness despite limited runs. It was paced poorly due to it being a parkrun PB event, so there were 22min and 25min pacers. Problem was the 25min pacer was going too quickly early on and as I tried to sit between the 25er and 22er, my first km cooked me for the rest of the run (4:26). In the end I finished with 23:11, the exact same time as my previous parkrun.

Parkrun number 2 was supposed to be an evenly paced affair trying out the slight change in course. Alas, the first km (4:26 again!) was also a bit too quick as I was trying to get some space to find some rhythm. Also out on the course were Speedy Geoff, his new protege Julia, the lovely Gary (birthday boy!) and Margaret. From the 1km point I could hear speedy Geoff encouraging Julia and I kept going to just after the 4km point when speedy Geoff dug in and went past. I was slowing substantially at this point and it wasn't long until Julia also went past. However, as a sub 23 was always the goal, I hung in there to finally get that 23 monkey off my back, finishing in 22:52. Interesting that the HRav for the 23:11 was 160, but only 147 for the 22:52. More than likely this is because I did a sprightly trail run on Friday and the legs would have been a bit tired with less than 24 hours recovery. This in itself is pleasing, good times at parkrun without needing a rest day beforehand!

Friends' results Gungahlin parkrun #74 14/03/15

Position Name Time Age group Age grade%
33 Geoff Moore  22:37  VM65-69   74.87
34 Julia Anderson  22:40  VW40-45   69.41
36 Janene Kingston  22:52 VW50-54   73.32
42 Gary Bowen  23:42 VM55-59   66.53
119 Margaret McSpadden  29:06 VW65-69   74.05

The last sub 23 was back in 2013, so it's been a long time coming. It will be interesting to see how easy it is to get down to 22:30. Interval training is not yet in the plans, but who knows what lies around the corner.
Just around the corner ...


6 comments:

  1. Yay well done Janene. That's a great time for Parkrun. I'm so glad the HRT seems to be solving your energy problem. Now to beat 22:30. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Strewth :-). I hope I'm not getting ahead of myself thinking the HRT is the answer. Only time will tell.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Janene - great time. I'm sure sub-22:30 will happen. I did have a running rest day before Saturday and a less than sprightly bike ride. Hanging out for a serious taper once cooler weather is assured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ET. Yes we are heading into great running weather as it starts to cool down. I hope to see you setting some very speedy 5k times after the right taper :-)

      Delete
  3. Well done on getting that sub-23 parkrun, Janene - it's also great to hear that the HRT seems to be helping too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cecilia. I hope it is due to HRT. I feel like I'm out of options if the problems recur! I hope your hammie settles down with your modified running form. It would be good to see you back amongst it all.

      Delete