Sunday, February 8, 2015

Back to Mount Ainslie

It's been quite a while since I last ventured over to Mt Ainslie for a run. It's nice to have a change of scenery and it's only a short drive from home. Conditions were set to be hot, so some shade and a not too late start were in order. The track around Ainslie is mostly good under foot and it is a consistent series of ups and downs. I also had some new trail shoes to test out. Finally some shoes that are narrow enough for my long size 10 feet! Also much lighter than trail shoes I've had in the past.

Mizuno Wave Hayate - trail shoes
The course run today was a combination of the Majura and Ainslie (backwards) ACTVAC handicap courses for a distance of just a tad over 14km. This will be the last long run for a little while with the next three weekends caught up in travel plans. It's a popular place for runners and mountain bikers where I saw the familiar faces of Mick Horan (fully loaded with tunes) and Jon Adams (training for 6 foot track) running in the opposite direction.
The trail and elevation profile for Mount Ainslie
Again there were no signs of fatigue and the run was a good one. The last couple of kms reminded me of my limited endurance, but nothing out of the ordinary. Indeed this run averaged 20 sec/km quicker than the last attempt for much less effort. The shoes felt nice and light with good traction. They are well and truly christened, barely resembling the image above anymore!

It will be back to Black Mountain during the week, before hopping on a plane next weekend to head to the land of the long white cloud. I will do a few shorter runs when there, but the main plan is to do some long walks and enjoy the amazing scenery of the great landscapes across the Tasman. Happy running :-).

11 comments:

  1. Great again to know you are getting out without any dramas. Not sure Ainslie/Majura really cut it for SFT training. Tried that years ago, doesn't work too well unless have good SFT course knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TF. You may have to enlighten me, I don't know what 'SFT training' is :-). So naturally then I have no idea about the SFT course.

      Delete
    2. Six Foot Track in the Blue Mountains coming up in a month's time is an iconic mountain race in Aust. 45 kms with 1500 metres of up hill with about 1800 metres of down hill. First 15 kms is flat to gentle down hill to Coxes River. All the up hill then, just goes on and on for 20 kms or more before last 5 kms of flat before steep & rough last 2 kms to finish at Jenolan Caves. Mt Ainslie/Majura just don't have enough steep & rough trails to do well. If just trying to make the finish line, then may be enough if doing repeats of the steep stuff, not the walking track up the front. We used Mt Rob Roy & Tennent mostly. It's a great run, & 45 kms is a long way. A river crossing, sand in shoes for sure, rope across for safety, plus 4 -5 creek crossings, 2nd half with wet shoes.The atmosphere at the finish is unbelievable.

      Delete
    3. Ahh doh, now I see it, thanks for clarifying! I'm pretty sure Jon is running all around the place as he knows what to expect for SFT. I just figured when I saw him it was one of his many training runs. Could have been one of his recovery runs.

      Delete
    4. Perfect recovery run area taking it easy.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a lovely run. Interesting to hear feedback on the Mizuno Hayate trail shoes. I've been eyeing them up at The Runners' Shop! Have an awesome time in Aotearoa. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth :-). They are a narrow shoe, which suits me, girl in the shop said many people are finding them too narrow.

      Delete
  3. You mean the dust obscured the graffiti on the shoes? Enjoy NZ - you should be able to understand the accent from coffee catch ups with Ruth.

    2Fs, I trained on Ainslie and Majura for SFT, but I knew the course very well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More like a 'shoe tan' ET. As I lived in NZ for 5 years I speak the lingo ;-).

      Delete
  4. Oh how I miss wearing Mizuno shoes - although I must admit I ended up with the ASICS Trabuco when I had a chance to add the Kazan to my personal shoe range! Ten more weeks to go in the shoe reporting study I'm doing and I'll be free!!! (Not that there's anything wrong with the Saucony Triumph, but wearing the same model most of the time for almost a year is a bit boring!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find Mizunos too wide usually, but for some reason this trail shoe falls into the narrow range, it's great for my skinny long feet. That said, the heels are lower than I'm used to and I've had some soleus problems in these shoes, not helped by going out for a long run the first time I wore them!.

      I'm happy in the same model of shoes for long periods if they fit. But I have found over the years that width varies with new models and I find myself moving to other brands to get a better fit. Asics are the narrowest at present, but who knows how long that will last!

      Delete