Sunday, January 25, 2015

Trailblazing

The trail running continues with Black Mountain being the running ground of choice (due to close proximity to work). It is probably a combination of a softer surface for the muscles and having the mind distracted by heat and hills that sees less awareness of 'fatigue'. I still think much of the fatigue is a mental thing.  It's become an expectation after 4 years!
Beautiful Black Mountain - place of awesome running trails
It would be easy to get excited by these recent consistent runs. It has been a long time since I've consistently strung together regular 10km runs. Certainly this is the best its been for 2 years. The question remains, can one tolerate both distance and a bit of intensity in a regular running week? It's probably a question that doesn't need to be answered just yet as there is some travel on the horizon that will disrupt training.
Now that sounds like my kind of trailblazing :-)
A test parkrun at Gungahlin (in 23:38) on 17 January 2015 was tough going, and I pulled up pretty sore for a couple of days with increased tiredness for the following week. That's probably a good enough indication to hang back and stick with trailblazing. The long run is up to 14kms and probably doesn't need to get much longer until pace gets better. Except my OCD behaviour is being encouraged by Smashrun (and Strava)- help!

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha - I love Smashrun, although I've been taking it easy the past few months, so my trailing 90 day kilometres plot doesn't look as impressive as it once did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-), those Smashrun badges are addictive

      Delete
  2. Haha, same here... but I'm too scared to join Smashrun. I'm being OCD about keeping my long run around an hour (which is long for a 5k racer!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you have a target and are focused on it. I expect you to be knocking out some good 5k times in the not too distant future.

      Delete
  3. With so much time off running over the last few years, you need to rebuild the endurance base. Easy way to work out how many kms per week that base is at ?
    You may keep a diary, you may not. Total number of kms ran, divided by number of weeks since regular running stopped. This will be a small amount, but that's your weekly base to improve on slowly. Believe me, it's a long slow process to get back even after a small injury. Plenty of cases of too much too soon, take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TF. With all the stopping and starting I've done over the last 4 years, I don't think any 'formula' will work for me. My approach at present is simple, run every other day and cross train with cycling. I find I'm recovering better with that approach - at present. I agree that building base is good, so I'll stick with my hilly, rocky trails which have many benefits.

      Delete