Saturday, January 31, 2015

Gungahlin parkrun # 68 (my 21st) report

After another week of trailblazing without any significant fatigue, the weather conditions looked pretty good for a parkrun. Of the three parkruns around Canberra, Gunners is the most low key with a pretty relaxed atmosphere and less numbers of runners than Gindy and Tuggers. I most like this course because it is a loop, not an out and back. Plus it's hard to go past something that is so close to home! Generally I don't run into many people that I know from Canberra running groups at this event. However, this morning I saw Ruth and David B, Margaret Mc as well as Nadine M. Ruth and David had decided on a change from their usual Gindy 5k. They chose a lovely morning to do it.

As would be expected, David and Nadine started at a pretty sharp pace. They were always in sight, but gradually got further and further away as the race progressed. I was surprised by the 4:33 first k, as it didn't feel that fast. However, it didn't take long for the pace to catch up with me and all 'feeling' returned. There were hopes of a sub 23, as I've yet to do that at Gunners. However, an improvement on the previous parkrun was the main goal. I did try and maintain pace with David and Nadine, but they started to get well and truly away at the 3k point. Next goal was to try and catch pram lady in front of me. Sadly pram lady showed no signs of slowing down and I just couldn't reel her in. To add insult to injury she was making it look so easy (and she ran a PB)! When I saw the 4k split I knew a 23 would be a big ask. In the end splits were: 4:33; 4:40; 4:40; 4:46; 4:38 for a total of 23:11. It was an honest run with HR in the 160bpm range for kms 2-5. A pretty good result off no interval work other than running up steep rocky hills! Ruth ran a Gunners PB (after doing a tough 10000m at the track on Thursday night!) and David ran the same time as his Gunners PB. Well worth their trip over from Belco.
Speedy Ruth supported by Dave. Speedy Margaret coming in as
I head out on my cool down jog.
After a 4km cool down jog it was lovely to have brekkie and coffee with Ruth, David, Margaret, Julia (another Ms Speedy!) and team JKK parkrun supporter Gregg. Next week, back out on the trails for me.

Friends Results:

30       David BAUSSMANN             22:25  VM60-64        74.13 %        
31       Nadine MORRISON              22:31  VW45-49       70.54 %        
33       Julia ANDERSON                   22:42  VW40-44       69.31%          New PB!
37       Janene KINGSTON                23:11  VW50-54       72.32 %                    
87       Ruth BAUSSMANN               28:02  VW60-64       72.29 %         New PB
104     Margaret MCSPADDEN      29:41  VW65-69       71.48 %        

7 comments:

  1. Yay, great result Janene and those percentages are all good! Lovely to share brekkie with you guys today and hear of your forthcoming adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. So great to see you running so well. Always a pleasure to catch up and share brekkie with you :-).

      Delete
  2. Good report and race J. You're running (and training well) - the Parkrun PB can't be far off. Nice pics of Ruth and Marg - they don't look like they're walking which is all I ask for from the photographer ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ET. The running is going okay at present and is working with an every other day approach. It will be a while before the next Gunners parkrun as I'm travelling to NZ in Feb. Sadly I also miss the W & G fun run. I expect to see you with a few more sub 23s when I return from NZ :-).

      Delete
    2. I'll do my best :-) Might save a big effort for the Fairfax 5k. Enjoy NZ and take some rain with you.

      Delete
  3. It may not have been a PB, but that's a fantastic run! Especially given the lack of speedwork - those trails are clearly working well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cecilia :-). I think the steep hills on the trails I run are the key. No easy running up those suckers! It's been a good month. Here's hoping the momentum continues :-D

      Delete