Saturday, October 25, 2014

Running in Kansas City

A trip for work saw me head to Kansas City, Missouri. Such trips generally don't make it easy to fit in any running, but before leaving Australia, the hotel advised that it would be busy over the weekend due to the Kansas City marathon scheduled for Saturday 18 October. Fortunately there was a 5k event on offer. Depending on the degree of jet lag, I planned to place a late entry if I felt okay on Friday 17 October. The event was ideal as it started at 7:20 am, so it wouldn't interfere with my reason for being in KC. I had Thursday 16 October as a free day to allow some time to recover from the flight over. I was able to get in plenty of sunshine to reset the clock as well as an afternoon run. On Friday I felt sufficiently good enough and placed a late entry. Even if it was a total disaster, the souvenir shirt was quite nice.
Nice New Balance running top

The 5k run went as well as could be expected, sleep the night before was pretty restless. There was a bit of a climb to contend with at the start, so starting pace was a bit sluggish. I started fairly close to the front of the field and was surprised when I wasn't being regularly overtaken. Indeed I came in 55th overall (out of 954) and was 9th woman out of 574. Splits were 4:43; 4:44; 4:25; 4:34: 4:39; 0:24. HRav 154bpm. Clearly the talented runners were taking part in the half and full marathon events. Looking at the course profile and the times, yes that is where they were all hiding.

The rest of the time in KC I managed to hop on a hotel treadmill each morning to keep the legs turning over. This was a great way to test the Garmin, which uses its various motion sensors together with accumulated running data to predict the distance for each indoor session. Overall it did pretty well.

Back in Australia, it is now time to recover from jet lag and see how well the muscles handle the summer. Step one, a bit of marshalling at parkrun.
Parkrun marshal with the faithful 'Betsy' by my side, and tail runner Ledy

6 comments:

  1. Still clearly faster than me, even if over a short distance. I have rarely seen a 4 in front of my km rates for quite a while now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TF. However, I would not be able to achieve the time you did for the handicap at Goorooyaroo. Distance and I still have a difficult relationship :-(

      Delete
  2. Great decision to put in the late entry - nice shirt, top-10 superstar status, all good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ET. One downside, not being from the US means I miss out on my age group prize :-(. The registration wasn't set up to enable entry of international addresses and they post out the prizes. They also managed to forget to take photos of people running the 5K. A good thing it's a nice shirt! ;-)

      Delete
  3. I've always thought about entering fun runs when I happen to go on overseas trips, but never did! Sounds like it's a lot of fun, and something to definitely consider next time I'm out and about! Well done on running so well despite the jetlag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ceclia. I had never thought of it before, but with the start so close to the entry of my hotel, 'twas very tempting indeed. As it turns out, it was a good thing to do :-)

      Delete