Friday, September 27, 2013

More time out

It's been a bit under 5 weeks since starting over with running. I'd like to say it's been going well. Certainly sticking to the plan has been the easy part. I've been very good at following a strict walk/easy run plan. However, considering just how easy the plan is, it's not been going well. Today I had full on muscle symptoms like I'd never taken any time off. To be honest it's fair to say the last 2 weeks have been pointing to a lack of recovery. However, with today's session there was no doubt :-/. So that means 8 weeks was not enough. Fair to say that means no more running for 2013. I'll probably double the break and give it a full 16 weeks. Sadly it could also mean I'll soon be saying 'I was a runner once'. C'est la vie, there is nothing more I can do at this point. Back to slow gentle cycling and the waiting game. Enjoy your running as much as you can, you just never know ...........

7 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear this J. I was looking forward to racing you in the 2014 Summer Series.

    Did you have sudden bad symptoms just on that day? Do you mean lack of recovery to normal feeling muscles over the past 2 weeks or lack of day-to-day recovery? Anyway, enjoy the gentle cycling. Magpie season will be well and truly over by the time you try gentle jogging again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ET. I just don't feel like my muscles have returned to 'normal' post 8 weeks rest and the muscle discomfort was particularly irksome on Friday. They warned me the week before when out walking ~11km - becoming tight and uncomfortable :-/.
      I met a nasty magpie last weekend on the Cotter Road. He hit me just behind the ear 3 times. I won't be riding along that part of the road now for another 4 weeks!!
      Yes, a shame about the summer series and a shame about the new Gungahlin Parkrun that starts on the 19th of Oct. Who knows if/when I can shake this thing.

      Delete
    2. The one at Stromlo gave me heaps on Sunday after Geoff and Jed left. Safety in numbers? Might take a while but you'll shake it I'm sure. Stay positive!

      Delete
  2. Bugger, was looking forward to chasing you down at the monthly handicaps & may be on the track. Must be light at the end of this tunnel sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TF. Yes it's turning out to be a very long dark tunnel :-/. Some light to head towards sure would be nice about now! Make sure you come and say Hi at the Handicap in October. I'm on volunteer duty for that one. After that I'm not sure when I'll get to another ACTVAC event. I hope you continue to recover well as you prepare for your next exciting running adventure :-)

      Delete
  3. What a shame! It sounds like you know what you need to do, although it's never as easy as it sounds to ease off for extended periods. Good luck and hopefully you'll be back and feeling great again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cecilia. It's been incredibly frustrating and having to extend the break for even longer seems a road too far. However, what else can one do?! I sure hope you are right that I'll be back to feeling great :-). Thanks for your kind comment.

      Delete