Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The long road back

I ran today! Or should I say, I jogged? The first steps in a long slow progression to running again. It was a simple start. 10min walk 'warm up' followed by 10 x (1 min jog + 1 min walk) and a walk 'cool down'. I think the 8 weeks of detraining was very effective! Those 1 min jogs felt tough. None of that feeling of gliding that I get on the bike and no easy way to run with a super low heart rate. I felt like I'd gained 20kg and was a sack of potatoes. However, there has not been any actual weight gain, that's just what unfit muscles feel like. It's far too early to tell if the muscles have recovered, but at least it was a good start with no obvious discomfort. Relapses are common when overtrained muscles return to training, so it's going to be a very gentle approach over the next 3 months. No races or running events that would cause me to run too hard too soon. Patience was never my strong point. A good thing I have the cycling to keep me distracted. There's something very satisfying about doing those 100k+ rides, even if they are super slow. Commuting to and from work on the bike is also very therapeutic. The next run will be 7 x (2 min jog + 1 min walk). Daniels has an introductory running plan that looks suitable for a gradual return to running. No fast tracking allowed here! Who knows, maybe I'll be in good running form when I enter a new age group next year?!


The long road ........

4 comments:

  1. I can vouch for the cycling helping with my running...I try to commute 5 days a week which is between 24-30k total each day...weekend cycling is just for fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bron. Yes your running has been going very well! My commute is 34-37k each day. I can avoid the bulk of the head wind section on the GDE if I ride up Bruce Ridge and go home via Lake Ginninderra. I'll keep cycling and see how things go as I start running again.

      Delete
  2. Woohoo! Gentle jogging sounds good. Don't want to hear of any relapses! Can't say I'm keen to see what 8 weeks of de-training feels like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ET. Ah well, it was down to 10kg 'weight gain' when I ran today ;-). I can't remember the last time I went 8 weeks without running at all. Even as an avid cyclist I kept up the odd jog to keep some weight bearing exercise in the mix. I do like the walk/jog approach to getting going again. With a bit of luck I'll have a similar comeback like we saw with Bron ;-).

      Delete