Thursday, August 15, 2013

Scared to run

It's been 6 weeks since I last ran. However, I am scared of going running! I've been spending my time doing lots of gentle cycling and lots of walking. It has been a good break for the running muscles. The thing is, those muscles have been so sore and reluctant to run for so long, that I am afraid to challenge them again. Shock, horror, a runner who's scared to run! We are always told to 'just do it'. Alas, I tried to 'just do it' and for 2.5 years battled episodes of training intolerance and muscle pain. I tried various approaches, but nothing worked. So here I am today, 6 weeks off running and now reluctant to run.

There's no need to rush to start running again I tell myself, it's not like I have any events in mind.  Plus I suspect the main running muscles need more time (although I think fear is very much a factor here). Slow cycling has been very good for the mental health. I can ride for hours and keep the heart rate mostly in the lowest zone. Something I can never do running. I don't get any muscle pain spinning in an easy gear and it's been a pleasure doing the odd commute to work by bicycle.

When (if!) some of the fear of running subsides, the plan is 3 months of a 'couch to 10K' kind of approach. No intervals, no races, just good old fashioned jogging mixed with walking. I'm just not quite sure when that will be.

The trusty TCR

In the mean time, it's more time in the saddle of my trusty Giant TCR. I've already covered nearly 1200km on the bike(s) since late June.



7 comments:

  1. Stick with it, Janene. Your courage and determination will get you there. With you all the way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chubbie. I guess if women are willing to have more than one child and endure childbirth, I can convince myself to risk a bit more muscle pain ;-). I need to HTFU

      Delete
  2. Nice wheels - they look light! But where are your magpie spikes?

    Couch to 10k is a good idea. You could always jog Spring Series races (back of the pack) to keep in the loop. Biking muscles could complain a bit at first. No need to rush back - the more time off the better in terms of the 'no running' experiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ET. Not a fan of magpie spikes and they don't really work. Thinking of taping a mask to the back of my helmet, maybe a Groucho Marx one to see if that works ;-).

      No races and no intervals for 3 months. I'm not one that readily 'jogs' at the back, so I'll have to stay away from events until the 3 months C210K is done. At least a couple more weeks off me thinks. But a positive sign, during my last walk the 'running muscles' didn't complain.

      Delete
    2. Ah, that is good news. Keep resting them.

      Groucho's not scary enough. Try a Terminator or Tony Abbott mask ;-)

      Delete
  3. Just follow the rules about returning to running for any reason. 1% increases are good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks TF :-). 1% would take a long time, do you really mean 10%? :-)

    ReplyDelete