Tuesday, July 2, 2013

6 weeks

It seems that things have deteriorated and muscle pain is pretty evident no matter what kind of running I'm doing. For people with severe overtraining syndrome, treatment is complete rest and detraining. This can vary from 4 - 8 weeks with a slow reintroduction to training after that. Historically there have been enforced rests on my part due to injury, but not with complete detraining and not of sufficient duration. As much as it pains me to stop productive endurance exercise, it seems that is what I must now do. This means NO running at all for the next 6 weeks (at least). If I post on this blog about doing some running before 6 weeks is up (that's 13 August 2013), please chastise me! Gentle spinning on a bike is allowable; however, it is for mental health reasons only, not to maintain or work on fitness. Plus there will be plenty of walking, as there is still the GCC to consider! It's time to become and slug and to see if my cranky muscles can heal and completely recover.
Couch potato time - see you in 6 weeks
Rest apparently does not resolve ATI. However, as I have not taken a full on rest approach, it's worth giving it a good shot.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, worth a shot. Six weeks should do it. I had 24 days of no exercise and although HR was high, hadn't fully detrained the running muscles. Worth reducing calories in as starting up again carrying extra kgs wouldn't be a whole lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ET. It will be interesting to see how quickly cardiovascular fitness declines. I'm most interested in when the muscles become pain free!

      Couch potatoes get to eat, what's the fun if I can't be a proper potato?! ;-)

      Delete
    2. Well, more comfortable than wearing a weighted vest.

      BTW, I recall you said thyroid function blood test was normal? Fatigue & sore muscles are symptoms of low thyroid function.

      Delete
  2. If it has to be, then mid winter is as good a time as any. Worth the rest time, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good luck with this approach. I'm sure Ewen will keep a close watch on any pace faster than a slow walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TF. Absolutely! Nothing ventured, nothing gained. A grand challenge, but at least walking a doddery bike rides are allowed :-).

      Delete
  3. I admire your resolve. Fingers crossed this will work for you. A long rest should certainly help. But definitely continue walking and cycling or you will go stir crazy - I'm so antsy and it's been less than two weeks for me! Long walks are good. Good luck and do hope we can still see you for catch up coffees etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruthie :-). I guess if it doesn't work I'll call some vet friends and source some anabolic steroids ;-). These tired old muscles sure need something to help them recover!

      I'm starting to enjoy the walks and will keep this up. That means I should make it to some handicaps and can start in an early group to give me time to walk the long course :-). I use you as my inspiration!

      Yes, absolutely, catching up for coffees would be good.

      Delete