Sunday, November 11, 2012

Biomechanically sound

I had a quick running form assessment with Jim on Saturday. It seems Lex has taught me well and most of those lessons have stuck. My right arm was the main focus and relatively easily tweaked with one cue provided by Jim. Alas, that means nothing can be done to stop the annoying muscle aches around the hips that I get post run at present. It seems that is common to those of us with 2 X chromosomes over the age of 40. We did decide to move me back into regular training shoes, rather than the innov8s for most of my runs. That makes the calves a lot happier. Speaking of which, the right calf is looking and feeling pretty good these days and seems to have healed well.

The Sunday MTB adventure


Maybe I can add in another run each week to get to 4 per week and see how the body handles it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained :-).

Latest activity:
Friday - day off
Saturday - 12 km run using the 4 min run/1 min walk approach @ 6:15 min/K average. Finding it hard once I get to 8 km.
Sunday - Mountain bike ride 28.4 km.

2 comments:

  1. Bloody chromosomes - can't live with them, can't live without them.

    4 runs would be good if the body's up to it. Interesting re the shoes. Innov8s have minimal heal to toe drop - more than the Kinvaras? I know the Kinvaras gave my calves a workout in the half. Maybe you could still get away with light trainers/racing flats as long as the heel-toe drop wasn't too great?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ET. I've had sore calf issues on and off most of my running life. Being older it would be better to err on the side of caution, especially with the right calf having less elasticity due to all the scar tissue. I'll use the innov8s for XC and shorter stuff, but will need to find shoes with more support on hard surfaces and over longer distance. My calves were pretty unhappy after the 10k in racing flats when I did Sutherland2Surf, so I should listen to that message :-).

      Delete