Sunday, July 29, 2012

Back from Flusville

Monday morning I was greeted with early signs of another lurgi. Tuesday I thought it was possibly the flu. Wednesday - there was no doubt it was the flu. I took the sensible approach and stayed at home and did absolutely nothing from Tues - Thurs. That approach paid off and I was back at work by Friday feeling mostly back to normal. Hence, it was a quiet week on the running front. I've been understandably sluggish for my last few runs. I ran the ACTVAC handicap at Blewitts today. It has a nice downhill start and so I flew out of the blocks only to fade from the 3K point onwards (about the time it started its way back up hill :-) ). Splits were 3:56, 4:31, 4:57, 5:24, 5:19, 5:22, 6:40!! (ugghh) and a bit more to the finish. Last year when I had more severe fatigue issues, I walked part of the hill at the end. At least I didn't do that today :-). Hence, I ran 1:30 quicker this year. It's one of the KOM/QOM courses, so a bit tough.

A mountain goat I was NOT today :-)
Latest Training:
Mon - Thurs - OFF with the flu
Fri - 7.5K easy run around central basin of LBG. 5:46 min/K, HRav 133 bpm. Calves sore (still!) from S2S. Rate 2/3
Sat - 10.5K undulating. 6:18 min/K, HRav 128bpm. Rate 1.5/3.
Sun - 1K warm up, 7.2K Handicap. 5:20/K, HRav 153bpm. Rate 1/3.


5 comments:

  1. I've never seen Steve Appleby wearing that many clothes!

    Clever of you to organise the flu to coincide with DOMS from the S2S ;) That's not a bad pace for that course - it's a tough one. Why can't the Vets have a point to point handicap - starting at Uriara Rd and finishing at Coppins Crossing? I'd like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ET. It also looks Steve may have put on bit of weight, must be post some carb loading ;-). Dude that would be so awesome, a point to point, think of all the sub 4 min kms!

      Delete
  2. Bloody hell - it took me three attempts to get the word verification correct!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must have been a quiet news week for you two to be discussing me, with or without clothes. Bring on summer, Janene you might be back to fitness to witness up close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah well we get a bit lost when you toddle off and leave us to our own devices TF. Fitness??? I wish someone could flick a switch and sort me out. I'm happy to do the work, just let me be able to DO the work!

      Delete