Sunday, June 24, 2012

Just cruisin'

Yep, with the recent lurgi and unhappy muscles, it's been a time of going on cruisey no goal runs. At present it makes sense to get out and run by feel and not worry about all the various training plans, since in reality it's not like I've gained any momentum with my training over the last few months. I did think about a track session on Tuesday, but after a 'warm up' jog I decided it was probably more sensible to just jog around the local streets and leave the thoroughbreds to do their work on the track. I'm more like a retired thoroughbred who is now used as a show hack. The desire to race never disappears.........but the body isn't so able.


The monthly handicap was around Mt Ainslie, a tough course with that big climb not too far from the finish. I ran the first 7K quite well, but conveniently died just as I got close to the final climb. Taking it easy of late obviously helped as I was able to run with the HR right up there, it spent some time hovering around the 170bpm mark. My best placing on this course - 23rd, a shame I couldn't keep the momentum going for the full distance. Also happy to finally get my AST over 70% (72) again. Great run by Roger to take the silver. Also great to see Gary take the bronze in the Frylink series.

Brett Morrison (Silver), Jill Pearson (Gold) and Gary Bowen (Bronze)

Roger briefly had the Thomas Series PRIZE! Count back - he was actually 2nd.

Latest 'Training':
Tuesday -  8.6K in total @ 6min/K HRav 127bpm. Rate 2/3
Wednesday - Lunchtime weights session @ gym; evening jog 4K @ 6:09min/K HRav 123bpm Rate 2/3.
Thursday - The little black mountain loop 9.2K @ 6:10min/K HRav 127bpm. Rate 2/3
Friday - Weights session @ gym.
Saturday - Short 4.2 K loop @ 6:20min/K HRav 130 bpm. Rate 1.5/3
Sunday - ACTVAC handicap - 9.3K @5:10min/K HRav 163bpm. Rate 2.5/3. 1K warm up and cool down. Late PM 'recovery jog' 3K - rate 2.5/3. Total for week 40K.

6 comments:

  1. Show hack? You were moving as fast as Black Caviar down that last hill today! Good race. And 72% is nothing to sneeze at. I'm rarely over 70 these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ET. Black Caviar after a muscle tear perhaps! Seriously, running downhill isn't that taxing! When Helen flew past, I tried to stick with her, but she was moving seriously fast!

      Delete
  2. 72%? Not bad, and think of it as having plenty of room for improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks oh speedy one. Alas, the mind may be willing but the body hasn't been proving able of late. Getting a bit older always does wonders for the AST ;-).

      Delete
  3. I stopped to take HR again today (Tues) on a run home at lunch time. Flat 7 kms at 5' 28" pace. About the same as Monday, 88 bpm this time. Would need to be doing serious sprint training to get it to near max. Heart does miss a beat or two when I see you Janene, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only way to get my HR down to 88bpm would be for me to walk! You are fit like an endurance horse and their hearts miss beats all the time (2nd degree AV block), nothing to do with me ;-).

      Delete