Sunday, June 17, 2012

A couple of good ones

As the good days are infrequent, when I get them they are bliss. I'm talking about just being able to run slowly and for it to feel GOOD. It's also great to knock out a tough training session, but it's those easy runs that are truly easy that make running such a wonder. Post-lurgi and with unhappy muscles it was a pleasant surprise to have two consecutive good days. One was just a short little jog to get outside, the other a 'long' run on a cold, windy day.

A fabulous place to run
Saturday was cross country champs and as always, there were many inspiring performances. For me, just jogging 50 metres from the start to the registration desk hurt! A good thing I wasn't competing. However, when I got home I needed a jog. Yay, the hurting had stopped and a gentle 4km loop was just what the doctor ordered, it felt great. Sunday was a play it by ear run, no pressure, no expectations. Mulligans flat is my local trail running location, although it isn't really flat. I ended up managing a slow 13km along the perimeter fence. I did cheat pre-run and take a dose of P.

Latest 'training':
Saturday - 4km loop @5:50min/K HRav 127bpm, rate 3/3, followed by weights session at the gym
Sunday - 13km loop @6:24min/K HRav 125bpm, rate 3/3
Total for week - 43km.

5 comments:

  1. You still have the toughness to get out there on a good day and see what happens. At least, some fresh air & nice scenery beats sitting in the chair at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TF. I won't give up on running when I can. It's just that I suspect I won't be getting any faster or running much further.

      Delete
  2. That's great! Two 3/3 runs - very nice indeed. Still a mystery about the good days/bad days though. Maybe what you've done there is a good pattern for regular 'training' -- alternate days of 4/5k with days of 10/12k, taking each day as it comes. I'm thinking that simple steady running would take out the variable of interval-type work (which is muscularly demanding and could be producing leg soreness).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ET. The problem is the legs get sore after (or even during) easy just as much as they do after hard. I have tried running 'easy' for a while here and there and I'm no better off. But yeah, better to just go with the flow and just run by feel.

      Delete
    2. Yep, good idea. Just warm-up into each run and see how you go. Take it one day at a time (as Mrs Muscles is fond of saying).

      Delete