Sunday, April 1, 2012

Fun Run #1

The fun run season is now upon us and I participated in my first one for the month (and year for that matter) - the Women and Girls 5K Fun Run. It was a stunning morning for it with the sun shining and only a gentle breeze. The goal was to see if I could run under 23 minutes on this undulating course. As per my previous post, I dosed up on paracetamol and hoped to be fatigue free. It worked, my watch said 5.1K and time 22:55. We will see once the official results come out (net time 22:51). I even managed to scrape into the top 30, finishing 28th. Lots of awesome performances by friends and training buddies. Lou came in 5th (19:13), Kathy S won the W60 (22:15), Kathy SG (20:18) won the W55, with Maria 2nd (22:06), Helen L won the W50 (21:56) and KT won the W45 (20:27). Lots of other ACTVAC runners in the top end of the field. It was nice to have our male friends on the sidelines cheering :o).

Two very speedy W55s, Kathy Southgate and Maria O'Rielly
Latest Training:
Friday - A paracetamol (P) assisted lap around Black Mountain 11.7K @ 5:42 min/K, HRav 137 bpm. I can now call myself a P addict ;-).
Saturday - 14.6K run in Goorooyaroo and Mulligans Flat. Despite some P, felt v tired and so didn't push it. 14.6K @6:13 min/K, HRav 125 bpm.
Sunday - P + ~1.8K warm up; 5.1K fun run. Time 22:55, pace 4:29 min/K, HRav 158bpm - 2nd W45. Total for the week 66K, Total for the month of March 250km. Next fun run planned is 10K at the Australian Running Festival.

4 comments:

  1. Great running Janene and you looked great. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth, it was lovely to see you there today. What a gorgeous morning!

      Delete
  2. Good race J! That course would be 30 - 45 secs slower than the track - I'll give you a 'track-adjusted' 22:15 ;-) The easy long run Saturday didn't do you any harm.

    P.S. 22:51 is 4:34 min/K ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ET. The min/K rate was based on the distance I recorded, which was 5.1K. Probably some of the "weaving" early on to get through the crowd at the start ;-).

      Delete