Thursday, September 22, 2011

Arbitrary

There is no real pattern to this fatigue monster. It makes it impossible to plan for an upcoming event as even after several days off, the fatigue can still be quite evident. On the other hand, it can also just completely fade into the background with no rationale as to why! Yesterday I had thought I would head out at lunch time to make up for the fact that there won't be a long run on the weekend due to the ACTVAC handicap. In my head I had thought that I'd try some hill repeats just to see how things were, IF at the start of the run it felt okay. Well yesterday was a day that I felt pretty awesome by recent standards, a 3 out of 3! Given that awesome feeling I did 5 x ~ 220 m hill repeats and felt as okay as one can doing hill repeats. The goals were to run with good form and to not over cook it! It was a great session and I felt great for the rest of the day.

Roll on today. I thought given the stunning weather that maybe I could do a nice slow 'longish' run at lunch time to make up for not doing one on the weekend. Alas, feeling about 2/3 at the start of the run quickly slipped to 1.5/3 and at about the 7.5 km mark it was a 1/3 and I was feeling pretty shite. The longish run was cut short to be about 11 km @ 6:13 min/km pace, average HR was 144 bpm. It was a bit of a late night last night, or could it have been the session yesterday? Although I did not feel at all trashed yesterday!

Ah well, so goes the way of the fatigued runner. It's a day by day approach. Now it will be a 2 day break before fronting up for the ACTVAC handicap at O'Connor ridge on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment